Toothpaste for sensitive teeth to hot and cold foodstuffs are used in order to reduce the teeth sensitivity.
Also known as Dentinal hypersensitivity.
Teeth sensitivity is the sharp shooting pain experienced by a person after having something hot/cold/sweet.
Some people might experience it even after drinking normal water/ any drink or eating something.
Tooth sensitivity to hot and cold is most commonly observe issue
In this blog I am enlisting some important information about tooth sensitivity to help you guys keep updated.
- What is Sensitivity?
- What causes Sensitivity?
- Symptoms of tooth sensitivity.
- How to prevent it?
- Treatment options.
- Toothpaste for sensitive teeth.
- Home remedies for sensitive teeth.
What is tooth sensitivity to hot and cold foodstuffs?
Teeth Sensitivity is a feeling of mild to sharp pain in some area of tooth or overall tooth. Tooth sensitivity to hot and cold foodstuffs is amongst the most commonly faced issue by many people. It may affect multiple teeth.
This can be overcome with the help of toothpaste
It generally occurs on eating or drinking something hot /cold /sweet/sour. Some people may experience it even while drinking water, gargling or exposure of teeth to cold air.
There are no black spots when there is sensitivity issue. If there is any hole/ blackness then it can be a cavity and not just sensitivity.
What Causes tooth sensitivity to hot and cold foodstuffs?
The loss of the forming bodies of tooth structures causes teeth sensitivity. The forming bodies of the tooth structure includes: Enamel and Dentin. (Enamel and Dentin forms the outer protective body of the tooth structure).
Sensitivity is a result of wearing off of the enamel. As a result of wearing off enamel, the yellowish part of the tooth inner to enamel is exposed which is known as Dentin.
Excessive consumption of sweet foods such as candy , acidic foods such as vinegar or cold drinks leads to the gradual loss of layers of tooth resulting in sensitivity.
Now, many people experience this issue even if they consume less sweet, it is because the enamel in their tooth structure is already thin layered
Symptoms of tooth Sensitivity to hot and cold foodstuffs
- All or some these foods and drinks may cause mild to sharp pain on consumption: Hot/Cold foods and drinks .
- Sweet foods and drinks
It includes candies, chocolates, sweets, cookies, baked foodstuffs and all sweetened foods.
- Acidic foods and drinks
It includes coke, soft drinks, alcohol, cold drinks.
- Cold air
a sharp blow of cold air attacking your tooth can raise sensitivity instantly.
How to Prevent tooth Sensitivity?
- Avoid brushing teeth harshly and forcefully. Dentists recommend use of soft bristle toothbrush for tooth brushing.
- Avoid the sugary and acidic foods that cause sensitivity as mentioned above.
- Avoid teeth grinding– many people have a habit of grinding teeth due to anger issues/ stress/ teeth grinding during night time or due to malocclusion in teeth.
For more information about teeth grinding, please refer to the following link: https://www.talktodentist.co/post/tips-to-stop-teeth-clenching.
If you are also facing bruxism (teeth grinding) issue then this might the exact information useful to you.
- Use “Fluoride”containing mouthwash– It is recommended to use fluoride containing mouthwash as it helps in preventing cavity formation.
- Avoid bleaching– If one is suffering from hypersensitivity then should avoid bleaching procedure as it can increase teeth sensitivity. If you are planning to go for bleaching should take advice if have sensitivity.
Following are the treatment options for curing Teeth Sensitivity.
1. Anti sensitivity toothpaste
These are the kind of toothpastes specially formulated Regular use of the Anti Sensitivity Toothpaste as prescribed by the Dentist (as there are many types of anti-sensitivity toothpaste) helps in reducing teeth sensitivity.
2. Desensitizing Gels
desensitizing gels as prescribed by the dental professional should be used. How to use desensitizing gel? Apply a string of the gel on the frontal surface of your tooth. Keep it for 15-20 minutes. Do not brush your teeth after applying it. Also avoid rinsing for some time.
3. Desensitizing pastes
Dentists generally recommend these pastes when only single tooth or very few number of teeth are affected. They can be directly applied on tooth for instant relief.
It is a procedure performed in dental clinics by the dentists. In this procedure a tooth colored material is applied on the surface of the affected tooth . It does not harm your teeth at all. It acts as a protective covering over the teeth and seals the nerve endings of the tooth to protect it from any kind of pain. Also bonding lasts longer for at least 10 years.
5. Root canal
It is prescribed for severe tooth sensitivity. Even if there is no cavity or decay found on the tooth, still if the sensitivity persist even after following all above possible treatment options, then we need to go for Root canal. In this process the pulp tissue is removed from the tooth and an artificial material gutta percha is kept in the canal.
6.Gum graft surgery
When the gum of the tooth is lost and root is exposed, there is tremendous sensitivity with the affected tooth.In such cases a minor gum surgery is recommended which is known as gum graft. When there is loss of gum structure and root of tooth is exposed, then this minor surgery is done. In this surgery the exposed root is covered with the present gum structure by extending it in order to cover the exposed root surface.
Toothpaste for sensitive teeth.
There are various toothpaste for sensitive teeth, but following are the best recommended toothpaste. They are as follows:
- Vantej antisensitivity toothpaste: It is one of the best anti-sensitivity toothpaste. It can be used once or twice a day. It can also be applied only on the sensitive teeth for 10-15 minutes and then can rinse. You can buy the toothpaste through this link provided : Buy now
2. Mamaearth antisensitivity toothpaste: It is amongst the best antisensitivity toothpaste.It can be used once or twice a day. You can buy the toothpaste through this link provided : Buy now
3. RA thermoseal toothpaste: It comes under best toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Buy now
4. Sensodyne toothpaste: It is a widely used antisensitivity toothpaste. You can buy through this link provided: Buy now
Home remedies for teeth sensitivity
1. Oil pulling
while doing this, you need to take some amount of coconut oil / any other oil in the mouth and swish for 5-10 minutes. After that you can spit it. Coconut oil is mostly used as it is easily available and found to be useful.
2. Clove oil
apply clove oil over the tooth having pain. It helps in reducing the pain. If clove oil is not available, you can also use cloves and keep it near the affected tooth for some time.
3. Salt water rinse
rinse mouth with salt and warm water helps in reducing the sensitivity. Do not use extremely hot water.
4. Honey and warm water
add a teaspoon of honey in a cup of warm water and rinse once/ twice a day.
5. Green tea
place a bag of green tea near the affected tooth or consume some green tea with warm water. It is found to be relieving during tooth pain. Any green tea of your choice can be used for this purpose.
Use this home remedies in emergency and always take advice of your Dentist .
We are here to help you. Keep smiling.